Monday, March 24, 2014

Low Carb Garlic Bread

I have plenty new recipes to post. The nights are getting longer so I can get some decent photos. This is one of our new favorites, garlic bread. I have plans to try this as a pizza crust as I think it would be perfect. I'm thinking I'll just flatten it out a bit more and add the toppings for the second bake. One of the keys to this being crunchy is to grease the cookie sheet with olive oil. Here is the finished photo to give you the idea of just how yummy it is = )
In a medium mixing bowl combine:
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 Tbls coconut flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum

I have made this without the xanthan gum and wasn't fond of the texture.

After you have mixed this well you can add,
1 cup shredded mozarella
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan or Romano

In a small bowl beat 3 egg whites till fluffy. Add to the dry mixture along with 2 Tbls olive oil.
Mix will and form into a ball. Press out onto the greased cookie sheet. The shape won't change much during cooking so whatever thickness you start with is pretty much the same as it will be when done.



Cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until browned on top.

At this point I peeled the wrapper off of one end of a stick of butter and rubbed butter all around on the top. If you prefer you could melt 2 Tbls of butter and use a pastry brush. Sprinkle with garlic powder, 1 cup mozzarella and some Italian seasonings and return to the oven for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven when the cheese is melted and golden brown. If you have any leftover, it's amazing the next day cold. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did = )

No comments:

Post a Comment